Tuesday, February 8, 2011



The Rutledges hold their breath for rain. Jay and I love nothing more than a day when the bottoms of your jeans are soaked and coffee warms your hands. We both fell in love with rain at different times. Jay spent his favorite childhood years living in Sedro-Woolley, WA, a small Pacific Northwest town where he rode his bike everywhere, mowed lawns to make big money, and explored the Cascade Mountains with his Dad. I went to college in Spokane, WA, the booming metropolis of Eastern Washington. This is where I fell in love with two things: rain and coffee, both still have me hooked.

Now, don't get me wrong, C'ville has some great coffee, but Washingtonians know how to 'do coffee'. By my senior year of college I had gotten the hang of it. I had a coffee date about everyday. Study coffee dates, girl-friend gossip coffee dates, coffee dates with my priest, coffee dates with the youth minister I worked with, and lots and lots of coffee dates that were supposed to be about learning but ended being about friendship. They always began the same way, peeling off layers of damp jackets and scarves, a warm hug, and a coffee. The coffee drinking was never rushed, it was always out of a real mug with a saucer, held with two hands and often, silence would set in and we would find ourselves starring out a picture window as the rain streamed down outside. Doing coffee is something I somehow lost along the way but today reminded me that I need to find it again. That time when you don't need to hurry out, when you can sit with someone in silence, and when all you need fits in a heavy ceramic mug.

I hope you get some time today to sit in silence, to enjoy the blessings God is giving us in this rain, and be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment