Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Being a grown-up is OVERRATED!

We have spent the past four months battling our desire to buy a house. Then about three weeks ago we decided... why go the easy way... let's BUILD a house.

note: we were not actually going to be the builders... but you get the point.

Then, as He often does, God gave us a big fat roadblock. We had done the 'good Christian thing' and decided to 'pray about it' but sometimes, when God answers my prayers with a NO I get really pissed. I mean 'pray about it' means God should give me what I WANT.

so... after all of the research, meetings {with builders, real estate agents, and mortgage brokers} we are NOT buying a house.

and I am SO RELIEVED.

I was not ready to be that grown up. Buying a house was what the world seemed to be telling me was the right thing to do. It meant we were serious about being here (everyone's reaction to us saying we were buying was "so you're really going to be here a while") like moving from Hawaii to Virginia away from everyone we love wasn't serious enough.

I don't want all my money to go to a mortgage. I like stupid stuff. I like vacation. I like pretty dresses for Tori's rehearsal dinner (ooops... Anthropology is really great and expensive!). I like going out to dinner. I like babies. I want one sometime in the near future and hear they are pretty pricey.

So I've once again (for the millionth time) discovered that being grown up is OVERRATED!

We are looking at an awesome rental on 2.5 acres. 3 bedrooms, check, renovated, check, fireplace, check. So come July this could be where you visit us!

2 comments:

  1. One, I love that you have a blog! How did I not know about this? Two, I love that I'm your first follower! Three, sign me up for a guest bed because I am so coming to VA in August for a visit! Love you babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Emily having a blog!! I LOVE your post. We DID buy a house in CO so you should come visit us!! I have never been to VA, so maybe derek and I will make our way to the east coast. Come to think of it...I've never been to the east coast. I hope you're doing well!! AND I hope you DO have a baby in the near future:)

    Lots of love,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete