Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lenten Fast Week #1... fail?


We make plans and God laughs.

Or give us an ear infection?

One of the two.  As Saturday rolled around I looked at my fancy calendar all blocked off with a week by week of my Lenten fast.

Week 1: Stay up till 11pm each night.  

I was actually excited to snuggle on the couch with the dog, hot cocoa, and Mere Christianity for six nights in a row.  I already had my favorite highlighter laid out.

Then it happened... that bug that has taken down AG and Jay finally hit.

And I slept... all day Sunday.

And Monday happened and our amazing nurse practitioner laughed at the severity of my ear infection and told me to 'take it easy' and 'get good rest' and gave me horse pill antibiotics.

And I came home and cried.  Isn't that what everyone does when their sweet husband stays home from work to help with the little so you can lay in bed and watch HGTV for 12 straight hours?

Or it's just me.

BUT MY PLAN I pleaded to God.  My plan to let you move more in my life by giving up planning has failed!

Silence.

It was the silence my mom gave me the day I died my hair blonde and came home and told her that I had just spent the whole day in the sun.

So this week it looks like God is already doing His thing in my life instead of MY thing.  There is no possible way I can be staying up till 11pm each night, I'm having a rough time making it through bath time.  After crying, and sleeping, and some great medication, I realized that this is small stuff.  That I can easily move things around.  That God is already showing me that my inability to be flexible makes life much harder that it needs to be.  It also confuses Jay (why was I crying anyway!?)

So a new plan...

Week 1: No sweets, treats, or extras!

You may think that sickness would make this fast easier, but people, sickness does not stop this girl from dessert.  In fact, when I am feeling sorry for myself I often feed that feeling.  With chocolate.

But more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment